BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 21, 2008

The trees

Did you know that you can see your whole life passing in the leaves of a tree? It's true. I have watched the leaves for so many months now... waiting for the changes that I knew would eventually come.
When my husband left, the trees were full. They were in the first blush of summer. The branches were thick with the dappled shades of green. Here in Connecticut, the trees are so lush that often they form a canopy over the road. It's a welcome respite from the summer sun. So many days I drove down the road wondering when I would get the first colors of fall....
Until, one day, it happened. The cool autumn wind brought the trees to life. Their colors blazed across the forest. Some of the trees were purple, some red, orange, yellow and some remained green. The orange is always my favorite and I think the rarest of all colors. Fall is my favorite season because I love to watch the trees dress up in all their finery. Still, this year, I rushed the season instead of drinking it all slowly in as I usually do. I was waiting for the hush of winter....
Eventually the wind got colder and the leaves began to Fall. I waited for the bare branches with baited breath because I knew that with the chill of winter, my heart would finally have it's summer back.
My husband has been gone for six long months. I have watched a lifetime in the leaves of the trees waiting for his return. Christmas came early for me this year and finally... Santa did bring me what I wanted for Christmas:

2 comments:

Kat said...

I am so glad that your husband came back safe and sound and that Christmas will be a happy one in your house.

Ann M. said...

So exciting! I'm glad Santa was good to you this year and I bet the sight of that boat pulling in made your heart feel full and happy.